Wednesday, March 16, 2011

You think sew??

Every woman should have a sewing machine. That being said...I don't actually have one, hehe. But my Ma has been kind enough to let me borrow hers for an extended period of time, and I have been using the crap out of it. I have altered a lot of my own clothes to fit me better, made a quilt for my G baby...and now have been using as an instrument to put the wal-mart fabric clearance bin to good use.
Here is my scull scarf I made yesterday using just one piece of two yard fabric that was on sale for $1.50. All I did was fold the fabric, sew the two sides together lengthwise, and then finish the hem on both ends (which means that I just folded the end of the fabric about 1/3 of an inch and sewed it.)
This took me a total of about 5 minutes, seriously.


I also bought a cookie monster t-shirt in the men's section for $7.50, and made a cute one shoulder top out of it. It is so easy to do, and you can actually do this without a sewing machine too, if you don't mind a raw edge.
Cookie Monster T-shirt
Using SHARP heavy-duty scissors, cut from one shoulder diagonally down to armpit area on opposite side. It will look like this:

You can leave it like that if you want! Or finish it with the sewing machine...
 Just  turn the edge that you cut under about pinkie finger width and sew a normal stitch all the way around.
Next, you want to sew the non-sleeve side of the shirt in order to make it tighter so it won't show your boob!!
Turn your shirt inside out and sew as much off as you need.
Start here and sew down to the bottom hem
When you get about halfway down, make sure you hold or pin the two edges so that they are flush and your hem won't be uneven
Cut off extra fabric


Cute pop-art cookie monster shirt for 7.50! Sorry for the photo quality, still haven't figured out the proper camera setting when setting my timer and taking far-away photos :( working on it though!



No comments: