Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Toddler Tuesday

From now on, every Tuesday I am going to write a little about life as a mommy to my toddler, G baby.
G baby is a tricky little guy. I don't have a lot of experience with little kids, so I usually tend to assume he's like every other toddler, but I have been told by my parents and in-laws that he seems especially headstrong. He just likes things done a certain way, and my husband and I have figured out that we just have to really push him hard to succeed-I know that sounds crazy for someone who hasn't even turned three yet, but so far it's been true-we had to push him to use words to communicate with us instead of his own little language he developed, because he was so behind in his talking. Now he's talking up a storm! We have to push him to try new things when he's afraid, like using the slide, or sledding, or riding on the lawnmower, that he ends up loving. My point is, when you know what works for your own individual child, go with it-even if it sounds crazy to everyone else.

Last night the little pooper woke up at 1:30 a.m.-what!!! He usually goes right to sleep when we put him in his crib at 8:15, and sleeps until 6-7. But I heard him on the baby monitor and panicked when I looked at the clock and saw what time it was. I went into his room and asked him what was going on. All he had to say for himself was "Out Mommy. Get me out Mommy. Play." I explained to him that it wasn't morning, it was the middle of the night, and he had to go back to sleep. I laid down on his floor with a blanket and pillow to encourage him to lay back down-it's a compromise we came up with a long time ago that we use on the rare occasions that he wakes in the night (usually only if he's sick) or if he wakes up at an ungodly hour in the morning, such as 5 a.m., which he does a couple times a month. It was 3:15 the last time I looked at the clock before we both finally went back to sleep, with him saying "Out mommy." every five minutes or so, and me saying, "No. It is night, you HAVE to go back to sleep."
So, I'm a little tired this morning.

Some of my favorite things that he is doing right now though:

1. Makes really good truck noises when he plays with his matchbox cars. It's more just impressive how long he can make them for...

2. Tells me what he is going to do then quickly asks, "otay?" without even taking a pause. For example, "I go outside play, otay mommy?" And then proceeds to do said action without waiting for my response. But if I don't respond, he will stop and keep saying "otay mommy? otay mommy? otay mommy?!!!!" Until I say yes.

3. Eats carrots and spontaneously laughs and shakes his head and says, "Bugs bunny", because eating carrots makes him think about Bugs Bunny.

4. Gets really really excited if you let him have a dollar, or if someone sends him a few dollars in the mail.

5. Just when he gets excited period

6. Everytime we let the dog inside he runs up to him and says, "Miles so happy to see me!!"

7. Says, "Whaaaaaaaat!!" when you say something surprising to him that he just can't quite believe

8. Says of his grandma or grammy, "Iyah miss her so bad!!"

9. Even though he's been saying it for two years now, I still love everytime he says "Dada".

10. Every now and then he will just point to his head and say, "Iya mart!!" (I'm smart!)

LOVE my G baby.



No comments: