Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mama Beamon's Homemade Banana Pudding

There are probably a zillion recipes out there for banana pudding. After reviewing some of them, this is what I came up with when my grandfather-in-law requested banana pudding for his birthday last year. When his birthday rolled around again this September...of course he wanted a repeat.

Ingredients:

1 large box instant vanilla pudding
Three ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups cold milk (sorry forgot to include it in the picture)
3/4 box mini nilla wafers
2 cups heavy cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk (do not look at the nutrition information...I repeat, do NOT look at the nutrition information)
1/2 cup lemon juice

Okay, first and foremost, you are going to want to put a metal/glass/ceramic (whatever ya got) bowl in the freezer to chill. You are later going to use this to whip your heavy cream, and a chilled bowl helps.


Slice your bananas and soak them in lemon juice while you prepare the rest of the pudding. This helps stop the bananas from turning a nasty brown color. I find it doesn't stop them completely...but it helps.


Now you are going to mix your milk, condensed milk, and pudding mix in a large bowl. 

Now get your chilled bowl out of the freezer and whip those 2 cups of heavy cream until it's thick and fluffy. Just make sure if your peaks start getting really firm that you stop-or it will turn into a butter-like consistency which is not good for mixing.

                                 This is my cream after I stopped whipping it.
Now fold the cream into the pudding mixture.
When you get it all mixed together, put about 1/3 of the mixture in the bottom of a large bowl and top with a layer of mini wafers and then bananas.
                                                                     (This is my first layer)

Now put more pudding/cream mix on top of this repeat. Repeat one more time until you are finished!
I like this recipe because it's easy, pretty quick, and makes thick and delicious banana pudding that's not overpoweringly banana-y. 

Enjoy!

XoXo,

L




Tickled Pink at 504 Main

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap   up           party!

6 comments:

Dana from Our Life's Legacy said...

Can't beat nanner puddin! (That's how its pronounced where I live. haha) Found you on Sugar and Dots!

Shannon Olson said...

This looks super yummy!!! I can't wait to try this, I might have to go out right now and get the ingreidients =)

Jane Squared said...

I've never had banana pudding! I'll have to give this recipe a shot since I love bananas.

lisa said...

Made this several times and everyone
Wants the recipe, but my husband refuses to give it out.
It is delicious. Best recipe for banana pudding we have found. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I drove myself crazy looking for this recipe after I lost the bookmark for it. I'm writing it down this time!!! My girls and I love this banana pudding and it's simple, quick, and cheap. Plus it doesn't separate in the fridge much.

Leah Beamon said...

I agree Deann! It is easy and pretty inexpensive, and with all the different ways people make banana pudding, to me this one is the tastiest. It's so rich and light at the same time. I am glad everyone is enjoying it : )