Saturday, September 10, 2011

Cheap, Easy, and Delish: Homemade Philly Cheesesteak

I only do my grocery shopping once a week. It stresses me out. Literally, one out of every four dreams I have is a grocery shopping related nightmare. I wish I was making that up.
I feel like going once a week saves me money, because the SHOCK of how much it costs to feed a family of three for a whole week makes me keep my grocery spending in line. However, I do cook 7 nights a week (closest McDonald's is twenty minutes down the road, lol!) although sometimes one of those nights is a cheat meal, such as frozen pizza. 
To keep my costs down, I will try almost anything to come up with a meal that doesn't involve spending 6 bucks on a package of ground beef or chicken breasts. Here is one that I came up with on a whim last week and it was a huge hit! 

Homemade Philly Cheesesteak

Ingredients:
-Some sort of bread or buns. I used onion-poppy ciabatta bread. 
-A pack of Roast Beef. I used Oscar Meyer brand.
-Sliced mozzarella or provolone cheese
-1 onion (sliced or chopped)
-1 green bell pepper (sliced or chopped)
-salt and pepper
-minced garlic (or garlic powder)
-Worcestershire sauce

FIRST, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and make sure you have a rack close to the top of your oven.
 First you want to put your veggies in a skillet with a little butter and saute them. This is when you want to add your garlic. I didn't measure mine, but took a picture so you could see the relative amount I used. (That's a really skinny knife)
After your veggies are nice and sauteed, they should look like this. Now, add your beef. Mix it around and let it mix with the juices. Add salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce (a few bottle shakes).

After it's heated through, pile it on your bread!

Add the slices of cheese and bake for about 8 minutes on top rack. You want your cheese to brown a little.
               Leave the top slice of bread off, so your cheese can get nice and bubbly. Plus, crunchy bread is hard to eat.



Just top it with the top of the bread and enjoy!!


XoXo,

L

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!



1 comment:

A Beautiful Life said...

what a great idea!!

xo
hillary