Friday, August 5, 2011

All Grown Up

I recently entered a contest held by Glamour magazine in which I answered a question sent in by a 20-year-old woman wanting to know how she can update her wardrobe to give it more sophistication. Once I was finished with my answer, I was actually pretty impressed with my ideas! I thought this might be helpful to some of you guys (and myself, since I struggle with my closet full of 'pre-mommy' clothes) so I thought I'd share!


A.
 A great way to think about answering this question is to first think about the parts of your wardrobe that are stuck in teenage mode. Slave to graphic tees and brightly colored cutesy sweatsuits on your downtime? Think of replacing the sweats with some structured jersey weekend pants in a gray or black and ditching the graphic tees for some high-quality solid tees in your favorite colors. Instead of a mini skirt or low-cut top for date night, think subtly sexy with a fitted pencil skirt in a pop of color and a shirt that shoes skin in a sexy yet unexpected way-skip the cleavage and go for showing a little collarbone or shoulder. When it comes to dresses, invest in a fitted shift dress in a rich jewel-tone color for a really sophisticated look. For pants, go for a higher-rise waist with a killer fit. A great jacket is a must, but instead of playing dress up with a boring black blazer, try a silk with some drape in a pastel. When picking a printed blouse, a geometric or zig-zag print is a safe bet for sophistication because florals can sometimes be either too old or too young, while bold geo prints are ageless. For accessories, try suede pumps rather than patent for a richer look. In my opinion, a brown leather bag looks richer and more effortless than black. And keep your every day earrings simple, think one color, not three.

All Grown Up


TopShop sleeveless dress
$95 - topshop.com

Victoria s Secret one sleeve top
$50 - victoriassecret.com

Missoni striped top
$345 - saksfifthavenue.com

J Crew wool skirt
$120 - jcrew.com

Gestuz
£110 - flannelsfashion.com

J crew pants
$60 - jcrew.com

Elie Saab tapered pants
$763 - boutique1.com

Shoes
130 AUD - sirenshoes.com.au

Coralia Leets teardrop jewelry
$295 - shopkikionline.com




XoXo,

L

No comments: