Friday, August 24, 2012

Slide.

It's funny how a good memory can be so heartbreaking.
It's a day like this that makes you curse yourself for every moment of your life that you've wished away. Every long sleepless night that you just wanted to be over. Every temper tantrum in the middle of Wal-mart that you wish you could miss. It used to make me so uncomfortable when the G baby was just months old and the old timers would stop and coo at him out in public and always say something along the lines of, 'he'll grow too fast.' I would think, 'Yes! When he can crawl he can get what he wants without waiting for me to figure it out. When he can talk I will finally know what he's been thinking! When he can get his own snack from the fridge, life will be so much easier.'
Nothing makes my heart heavier than to realize all the moments I should have cherished as a young first-time mother, instead of letting them scare me into just wishing I'd make it through them.

Today, we went to the park, and my husband took our second little baby for her first ride down a slide.







...And it made me remember a time, almost four years ago. We were living in Asheville right after the G baby was born-young, scared, and so, so broke. So many moments I just wanted to make it through, instead of opening my eyes to every precious moment God gave me with my family.


Gabriel's first time down a slide, with a very young-looking Dada:






I'm humbled by the journey that God has laid out for me. And the old timers are right-they grow too fast.



xoxo,

L

No comments: