Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wardrobe Staple: Sheath Dress

I would consider a well-tailored sheath dress a must-have for every woman. If you find one that fits right, they are flattering on any body type. You can dress them up or down, and usually even wear them in professional situations. And they don't have to cost a fortune-I bought this one at Wal-mart for $23. The fit was off, but I actually used my sewing machine to add a couple darts in the waist myself, and now it fits perfect.
Here's some points to consider though:

1) If you're petite, make sure the dress hits you at the knee or slightly above, anything longer will make you look shorter.
2) Sturdy fabric is a must if you are concerned about hiding any flaws. My sheath dress is actually made out of a thick knit, which is very forgiving.
3) Make sure any seams hit you in the right places. A problem that my mother and I have is that many tailored dresses are made for a shorter woman, in that they start poufing out at the hips in a place that hits too high. Most of them have an actual area where your rear end is supposed to fit into-so make sure your booty is sitting in there right. Keep trying on, you'll find one!



Dress-Wal-mart
Booties-Target
Belt-Forever21
Scarf-Vintage (Thanks Grammy!)
Earrings-gifted

XoXo,

L


pleated poppy

10 comments:

Gracielou said...

That dress is so pretty. And I agree it could be worn in a multitude of situations and places. The right accessories and poof whole new outfit.

Megan (FriedOkra) said...

Yep! What Gracielou said. Perfect piece for layering or on its own. Love it!

Rolled Up Pretty said...

LOVE that dress Leah. You are rockin it!

Cerrisse said...

I love dresses and skirts with pockets. Very cute dress.

Babes and Sages said...

Very Cute! Love your hair color. I just got mine butchered yesterday and now I have to get some color remover and start over. What a waste of money ;)
Thanks for stopping by. I love my little baldy. I also didn't start getting real hair until I was 2 so I guess he gets it from me.
Gonna go follow you blog now :)
Have a great day!
Sophie @babesandsages

DeeAnna said...

Walmart? What? You look amazing!

Cami @ All Things Lovely said...

i didn't even realize it was leopard until the third picture!! ahhh I love it!
so cute!

Cami
www.allthingslovelyblog.com

Susan said...

Very cute and I agree -- a definite must have!

Fabrizia said...

love the dress, so cute! Take a look at my blog, and if you like it follow me, I’ll be waiting for you!

Cosa mi metto???

Jill said...

You are gorgeous! I think you can wear anything and of course that dress looks good on you. Sheaths are classic and practical.